This course covers the 5 Mother Sauces and the process of making a soup from scratch. These are topics that build a strong foundation for any aspiring chef or home cook. Completing this course will allow the student to apply these skills to their current cooking methods as well as allow a higher skill set for line and prep cooks.
Instructor will provide syllabus and all products needed. Student is expected to show up with hair up and out of their face, clean clothes and close-toed shoes. Aprons will be provided. Chef jackets are encouraged.
- Describe and define stock and its importance in the professional kitchen
- Define “Mise en Place”
- Define Mirepoix
- Identify and describe a sachet
- Describe the difference between brown stock and white stock
- Identify and describe the dimensions for a fine brunoise, brunoise, small dice, medium dice, large dice, fine julienne, julienne and battonet
- Identify and describe the five leading sauces and their importance in the professional kitchen
- Define roux
- Describe the three types of cooked roux
- Define “emulsion”
Length: 2 hours
Requirements: Intro to Culinary Arts Course